Manage Projects Online.

Converting Time into Minutes using Excel

Something I’ve had many customers asking is how they can convert their time figures into minutes using a spreadsheet, it’s something that’s really easy to do if you know the correct formula to use.

I’m going assume that you’ve exported the data from our system so it’s in the format 1:30 (1 hour, 30 minutes), a good report to export is the Time Summary report (found on the Reports Page).

Converting your Time to Minutes

If you have 1:30 and you want it in minutes (90 Minutes) then create a new column alongside your time figures then enter the formula ={cell}*1440

Cell Formula

Cell Formula

You’ll need to make sure the cells are being formatted correctly, so select your “Time” column, right click and select “Format Cells” then make sure you’ve set the cell type to Custom h:mm

Time Cell Format

Time Cell Format

Then do the same for your “Minutes” column and make sure the cell type is set to Number with no decimals

Minutes Cell Format

Minutes Cell Format

You should end up with a nice list.

The End Result

Julian Stone - CEO - Project Management Software Visionary for: ProActive Software, ProWorkflow

17 Comments on "Converting Time into Minutes using Excel"

1. ronnique says:

HURRY HAVE REALLY HELP ME TREMENDOUSLY

2. Low says:

This was of Great help. Thank you.

3. Count says:

I need to covert Hours to minutes. In the first column, A, I enter my Data as hours and minutes. The cells are formatted as [h]:mm. The second column, B, is formatted as Numbers with 2 decimal places. The formula for the column B cells are =hour(A1)*60+Minute(A1) I enter 23:46 in the first column cell and get 1426.00 minutes in Column B1. This is correct. This formula work great, until I input anything greater then 24 hours in the first column. For example: If I enter 30:45 in the A1 cell, when converted to minutes it should be 1845 minutes. Excel give 405.00 minutes in column B1 which is not correct even though the"A1" field is formatted to show hours greater than 24. How can I get the formula to work?

4. Jules says:

GOOD I LOVE IT… it really helps me for HR management system

5. Steve says:

Knowing the start time and end time of a person reporting to work each day is in a format of 7:15 (start) and 4:13 (finish) how do I determine the total minutes worked and convert that to hours and minutes.
    Steve

6. Andy says:

Thank you!
    It worked :-)

7. jon says:

my cells are formatted 00:00 its formatted that way because i can enter just the numbers and get the time instead of adding the colon manually, now when i have this formatting i cant find a way to get my times into minutes because of this formatting..help??

8. Murali Krishna says:

Great help…thank you, but if we wanted to sum the time and if comes in (- time) how do we use this formula…it does not work… appreciate if you could help on this.

9. Dopey says:

How do we do it with 24 hour working time?
    For example
    start 23:00 finish 01:30 should equal 150 minutes.
    I am trying to simplify logs so i don't need to manually add the minutes.
    Would really appreciate some help with this one
    Cheers

10. Ivan says:

Why don’t u use =(HOUR(A2)*60)+(MINUTE(A2))+(SECOND(A2)/60) instead?

11. Seminko says:

Finally, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! Thank you

12. Menino Fernandes says:

Fantastic! Worked perfectly fine and saved me a lot of work which was done actually in Microsoft Word. Thank you very much. Regards – Menino

13. Ben says:

When applying the formula ={cell}*1440 is there a way to format all cells in the column with the variable {cell}, or do I have to type it in for each cell calculation?

14. priyang says:

Nice trick. …

Trackbacks for this post

1. Converting time into minutes using MS Excel — 24 Posts

Got something to say? Go for it!